Charles Buteux, known as Buteux père (father) or aîné (the elder) (also known as Butteux, 1719–82, active 1756–82), was a painter and gilder who had previously worked at the factory in Chantilly. His work can be seen on the Teapot (théière lizonné à relief) and Cup (gobelet lizonné à relief sans soucoupe) (1758, slides 23a–b). His mark was an anchor, visible in Slide 23_Mark.
Early in his career at Sèvres, Buteux was described as “painting figures, of which he understands very little, but wisely wants to perfect” (Sassoon 1991, 198). After experimenting widely with different specialties, Buteux “became the factory’s most prolific painter of trophies and attributes” (Savill 1988, 3:1008). His other works included: “cherubs in monochrome,” inscriptions, friezes, garlands, border patterns, coats-of-arms, and monograms. He also created a few hundred crowns (couronnes) for the Catherine the Great service, and was known for dabbling in poetry.
References: Savill 1988, 3:1007–1009; Eriksen and De Bellaigue 1987, 154 no. 200, 173n200; Tardy 1981, 530; Sassoon 1991, 198.